Thursday, February 28, 2008

Baja Crash

I was driving down the road, minding my own business, just minding my own business and this brand new pick up truck just ran right into me knocked right into me like a bowling ball knocks into pins. The Baja went flying off the icy road, jumped off a snow/ice bank flew like 50 feet in the air. Remember I was minding my own business. For a split second I felt like Dick Van Dyke driving Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or flying a Lear Jet. Then bang the Baja dropped like a rock and landed right on a chain link fence.

In fact I had just left the house and 2 blocks later my next door neighbor, who was driving home, swerved to avoid a pick up truck with a plow on it that was sliding through a stop sign on cross street into the road we were on. When he swerved, his front left bumper hit my car right above the drivers front wheel and then the rest of the left side of the car as I was redirected for take off into an snow/ice bank, right between a stop sign and a tree, for a landing right on top of a fence. No one was injured - the guy who slid into the street we were on was doing someone a favor by driving their pick up to the repair shop. He never made contact with anyone but got a ticket for not observing the road conditions. I have only one payment left on the car and the fence I'm hanging on belongs to a client of mine who was surprised to see my car parked in his front yard when he came home. When the tow truck finally arrived 4 hours later and attempted to pull out the Baja, his winch just pulled his truck across the road. After his next attempt and 20 minutes he was able to pull it out. The car still drives, the door opens and closes, the interior light stays on and all the insurance companies involved are reluctant to claim responsibility. It is kinda hard to drive without a side view mirror. Hopefully the insurance company will pay out big bucks and we can enter it in the Iditarod Smash up Ice Derby this weekend, win first prize and buy a new car so we can run into someone else before spring arrives.

For more images - follow the "Baja Crash" link, to the right, under Photo Albums.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: